Cookie Consent by
a large airplane flying high up in the air on a cloudy day

Halls Living

Arriving in the UK

By QMHalls 24 Aug 2020

The countdown is on and soon you'll be arriving here at uni, but before you do here is all the information you need to know if you are arriving from outside of the UK...

eGates at the airport

If you are nationals from the following countries you may be directed to enter the UK using the electronic gates (eGates) rather than speaking tot he Border Force Officer.

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • USA

If you are a national of these countries and have already applied for a visa in your home country and this has been granted as a sticker in your passport (visa vignette), you may enter the UK through the eGates.

Please note: You must keep a copy of your boarding pass/flight ticket as evidence of the date you entered the UK, you will need this in order to enrol at Queen Mary

However, if you have not applied for a visa in your home country and are requesting a short-term Student immigration permission to enter the UK you must not use the eGates as you will need a stamp in your passport from the Board Force Officer.

Please note: You must request a short-term student stamp from the Boarder Force Officer to be able to study in the UK.

a passenger seat of a airplane window

Coming to campus from the airport

Due to COVID-19 we are unfortunately unable to offer an airport pick-up service, however we have got other options for you to choose from to arrive safely on campus;

  • Taxi - London's black cabs can be booked in advance, hailed on the street or picked up from taxi ranks. Minicabs (ordinary cars licensed as taxis) can be booked using the information on TfL’s website or via an app such as Addison Lee. You should never use an unbooked minicab. 
  • Heathrow Express and Underground: change at Paddington for Hammersmith and City Line
  • London Underground: change at Holborn for Central Line


If you are arriving from outside of the UK you will need to self-isolate for 14-days. Please see the information on the Advice and Counselling Service website including which countries are affected.

BRP collection

If your Tier 4 leave has been granted for more than six months, you'll need to collect your BRP card from your chosen Post Office within 10 days of arriving in the UK. The nearest collection location to the Mile End campus is the Whitechapel Post Office (208A Whitechapel Road, Whitechapel, London, Greater London, E1 1BJ). For students travelling from certain countries who have to self-isolate for 14 days on arrival to the UK, the Home Office has stated that when you arrive in the UK you will not be penalised for being unable to collect your biometric residence permit (BRP) while coronavirus measures are in place. Please check the Advice and Counselling Service website for up to date immigration information.

Police registration

You may also need to register with the police if you are of a certain nationality (check your visa sticker in your passport, your Biometric Residence Permit or Home Office decision letter). Check the Advice and Counselling Service website for information on how to register

a person holding a box

Popular topics in Halls Living