Health and Wellbeing
Blog: Top 10 money tips
This blog was written by the Advice and Counselling Service at Queen Mary.
New to University?
That probably means you’re new to budgeting. Either as a student who hasn’t lived away from home or in London before, or perhaps you’re returning to study after working, and you’re not used to managing on a student budget.
We've got lots of ways to help you budget and make your money last longer!
- Plan your personal budget for the academic year ahead, so you are in control of your finances and don’t have to worry. We have online guidance and spreadsheets to help you with this
- Don’t miss out on money that you are entitled to. Use the funding advice guides on the Advice and Counselling Service website to help you check this
- Buy an NUS (National Union of Students) TOTUM card (from £14.99 a year) to get discounts on a wide variety of shops, restaurants, cinema and travel
- Use our money saving ideas to find out about more discounts and ways to get the best value for your money. Also check out the money saving ideas by Save the Student
- Use Save the Student’s tips to save money on your food shopping. Also try ‘downsizing’ to supermarket own brands
- Compare student bank accounts before choosing the right one for you. Home students can open a student account. There is specific information for international students about opening a bank account on the Advice and Counselling Service website.
- To avoid running out of money before the end of the semester, open different bank accounts for different purposes and move money between them at set times. Get advice from the Student Room
- Search online for price comparison websites to get the best deal on whatever you are buying
- Make the most of travel discounts such as the 18+ student Oyster photocard, and the 16-25 railcard
- If you are in financial hardship you may be eligible to apply to the Queen Mary Financial Assistance Fund
Find out more about ways to save money and how to plan your budget on our website.
Contact us if you would like confidential money advice from a Welfare Adviser.
Follow us on social media for updates:
- Read Next
- Join the Summer 2021 Retail Catering Assistant Team! Library Postgraduate Drop-In Postgraduate Takeover (Vikki Barry Brown) Introducing...Siobhan Netherwood Introducing...Colin Corcoran Introducing...Alice Nicholas Introducing...Richard Gardner Introducing...Peter Walsh Support Friends of the Royal London Hospital Introducing...David Rampton
- Your guide to Floyer House Starting university as an LGBTQ+ student Bloggers & Vloggers Wanted! Collect your Residents' Rewards Card Contacting Security Our halls guest policy Keeping your bathroom and kitchen clean Join the Summer 2021 Retail Catering Assistant Team! Library Postgraduate Drop-In Postgraduate Takeover (Vikki Barry Brown)